Friday, February 27, 2015

My Trip to Iowa - Part 3


For YEARS I've been telling myself that I was going to learn how to hook rugs. I know... you're thinking - "How hard can it be? Buy a latch hook and a printed pattern...."  No, I mean real rug hooking with a linen background and strips of wonderful, rich wool fabric. I've been saying that for maybe 25 years. And for a good 10 years I've been determined to get out to my 2nd cousin's rug hooking shop in Osage, Iowa. 
Well, I finally made it!          Ewe and Eye Designs was everything I'd hoped!


Now for that little tour I've been promising.

They have rug kits, printed patterns, and linen backing fabric by the yard.
The samples were so inspiring!

They offer several counted cross stitch patterns and kits as well.

Marge and her daughter Beth are wonderful!! They are so helpful. They started me out with a star pillow kit. The strips were all precut so all I had to worry about was learning the technique of hooking.

And ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh the WOOLS!!!!!!

Such an assortment!

Even the green cupboard is gorgeous!!!

Beth was working on a large new rug.
There's my star pillow in the foreground.

The shop has a great farm table in the middle of the room so we were able to just sit and hook. It was wonderful having access to Marge and Beth for immediate help.


What can I say? FABULOUS! If you're a rug hooker or like to work with fabrics, this picture probably sends tingles down your spine ... and maybe even a little bit of drool down your chin!

The carrier on the table holds irresistible dyed velvets. They also have Kay Cloud patterns.

Be sure to visit their site!             http://www.eweandeyedesigns.com/

My day was all I'd hoped! After being treated to a delicious Mexican dinner (my favorite!), I headed back to my hotel to perfect my hooking skills enjoy working on my new pillow. (I suppose HOTEL and HOOKING in the same sentence could raise a few eyebrows.) I think I stayed up until 2 a.m. Once you take up rug hooking you find it's relaxing and addicting at the same time.

And of course, my beautiful roses made it to my bedside where I could continue to delight in them.

NEXT STOP - a Dubuque Bed & Breakfast

                                        Graniteware Gal

No comments:

Post a Comment